Monday, November 1, 2010

So You Had a Bad Day

So, you had a bad day. Well, gee, just take 10 deep breaths, examine how bad it was, and see about putting it back together, right? Right. Just like that.

The economy is still in the toilet, and times are still tough. When times are tough, people aren’t always, shall we say, their best selves. In the latest (October 2010) issue of Vanity Fair, editor Graydon Carter observes that “America … seems to be just plain angry, all the time.” He calls it “the anger movement.”

When you’re trying to survive and thrive in the midst of an “anger movement, it’s hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It’s especially hard to do so and talk about it, without sounding like a sap.

Still, I like to think that it’s always there.

Without going into a whole lot of me-me-me, let me just say that being a small business owner, operating a boutique Pilates studio south of Denver, has its stressful moments. Cable TV subscriptions stayed steady through the recession, which perhaps explains the spike that didn’t happen in the fitness sector.

I try not to let it upset me too much. Bad or good, things usually fall into two categories: Lesson learned, or action item.

Still, there are those days when I get home and Just. Can’t. Shake. It. Off. In these glowering moments, exercise works best for me. Rather than sitting around in a funk, plotting revenge, I get the dogs collared-up for a hike, or (on really really bad days ;-) go for a run.

Listening to some kick butt music also works almost every time to get myself recharged. (My top 3 kick-butt recharge songs: Dancing with myself by Billy Idol, Save it for Later by English Beat and OMG.. by Usher.) I always end my day with a journal entry, and finish with meditation.

So, while I can’t take away your or my bad days, my suggestion is to remember the endorphin. It will kick you into gear. Remember it early, if you can – even a brisk walk around the block (try jogging one leg of it.) It’s almost as good as coffee to kick start at day, set your mind at ease, and set up the day straight.

As optimistic as we can or should be about life, there are just some days that will bother us more than others. (“Momma said there’d be days like this, there’d be days like this, Momma said!”) Do the best you can to shake it off. Remind yourself that tomorrow is a new day.

The more we keep a positive attitude about our everyday life, the more positive it will be.

1 comment:

  1. we are update regular topics about Life style just a click to share.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and sharing your comments.