Friday, July 9, 2010

Tracking Your Progress

When I only see clients occasionally, it’s hard for me to know what’s going on in their “fitness lives.” Some journal their time in the gym, which is great. It gives me a better idea of what they’re doing, which helps me to fine-tune our time together. I strongly recommend it!

Yes, yes, it’s hard to write everything down. I’ll soon be up with a “Get Movin’ with Jaime” hot list of things to get you on your way. But until then, a few tips on how to make a fitness journal that works for you.

For starters, the raw materials: There’s no shortage of journals and journaling books on the market. An Amazon.com search produced 423,542 results! From workouts to calories to enlightenment to parenting, journals exist. Such resources can be very useful -- but you don’t need to spend a pile of money on a journal. A spiral-bound notebook is just as effective. The important part is to put the pen on the paper regularly.

Next: What to write. The basics include notes about your workouts, exercises, diet. Goals, achievements, ideas. Your energy goes where your mind goes, so keep it positive – if you’ve had an off week, filled with commitments and perhaps more food/drinks than you’d like, don’t beat yourself up about it.

Why did I eat that ice cream cone (or drink that extra glass of wine) when I didn’t need it? How do I work out when life is such chaos? It was cold and rainy and I just wanted to stay in bed – these things happen. Life isn’t perfect, fitness isn’t perfect. The trick is to just keep going. Then write it down.

For me, journaling is almost an out-of-body experience. I write it all down – what went well, what didn’t go well. It’s a release of stress (good and bad!). It’s an internal feedback mechanism, which helps me to make adjustments. Refreshing older goals, and setting new goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and sharing your comments.